Sunday, September 16, 2007

Potpourri

This post will be a narrative abomination. There is no beginning, no middle, no end, just a string of observations that lacks transitions from one point to the next. Common sense (and decency) dictate that I don't do this, but I have to get these off my chest and won't be able to do so elsewhere.

First and foremost: Australians do not throw shrimp on the barbee. They eat prawns, and they boil them. My Aussie mate Jason has asked me to relay this back to civilization. He said, "I don't care who you've heard it from or how many times. We don't do that."

Second: If New Orleans is the Big Easy, Western Australia is the Big Empty. Once you get outside Perth, there ain't nothin' but a whole lotta nothin'.

Third: In our trip to the Southwest, we saw signs warning us that regions had been aerially baited with poisoned meat. The Australians developed a poison from peas that grow here. Native animals are immune because they eat the stuff on a regular basis and have for generations upon generations. Feral animals, in the meantime, die when they consume it. (Dogs, cats, and humans are also prone to this particular effect of the poison, which is why warning signs were present.) The Aussies call it 1080 poison.

Fourth: 1080 Poison sounds like a tax form to me. Well, it's April again. Guess I'd best make my way to the library, pick up my 1080 poison and give Uncle Sam his due.

Fifth: Women in Australia occasionally say "ta," to mean "thank you," much in the same way the word "cheers" is used. Men almost never say this. I can't think of a single word back in the States that is used by one gender but not the other.

Sixth: I have struggled, when speaking, to differentiate American football, football (a.k.a. soccer), and Aussie rules football. Last night, an Aussie helped me devise a system:
Soccer is just "soccer." Europeans may snub the word, but they'll know what I'm talking about. Aussie rules football is simply "footy." Australians shorten almost every word that consists of more than a few letters, and football was not immune to this effect. Most ingeniously (and I wish I could take credit for this), American football is "gridiron."
I am very happy that this was finally worked out - it was really beginning to bother me.

Last: Because Perth is 14 hours ahead of Denver, Yankees don't watch Monday Night Gridiron. We watch Tuesday Morning Gridiron.

That's it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day mate. Re your post on 1080 poison. Partly true. Only some native animals in Western Australia are 'immune' to this toxin. It is contained in some of the native plants.
Here in Tasmania where my wife and I live 1080 is used regularly by farmers and forestry companies to poison the native wildlife that eats either the pasture/crop or trees that they are trying to grow.

This practice is absolutely disgusting. There are viable alternatives such as FENCING to exclude the animals rather than killing them.

To farmers and forestry the native wildlife are vermin to be exterminated.


1080 poison is a nasty disgusting toxin that should be done away with.

Anonymous said...

TJ,
Looks like you hit a sensitive topic here!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sure, poisoning animals is bad news. But sword fighting with them...that's just absurd.