Thursday, August 30, 2007

Comings and Goings. Mostly Goings.

Phew. My computer has finally arrived. That's a good thing because now I don't have to yell at a customs official. The Aussies have a COPS-style reality show about customs officers, and I imagine that such an encounter would make for more interesting television than their usual cavity searches. However, I get the feeling I wouldn't come out of it looking like a very nice guy - handcuffs have that effect for some reason.

That aside, those who look at the dates on these posts will notice a conspicuous gap between my last post and this one. Sorry, but it just wouldn't be the TJ experience without a couple gaps of motivation.

Last week, in a great act of motivation, I got hired at a Gloria Jean's coffee shop in Fremantle. I've only worked one shift because of the study break, but it was enough for me to get a good idea of what work will be like. I think my official title is "barista," but I don't yet know how to use the espresso machine. This is particularly discouraging because it's really the only piece of equipment in the place.

I had a very hard time understanding what people said to me at work. The problem came from thick accents, barely being able to hear over steaming milk, and a product line I'm unfamiliar with. (What the hell is a flat white?) It's like people are pouring a jig-saw puzzle into my ear. Occasionally, I see a piece that makes sense, but the overall picture is completely jumbled. The worst part is that I know there's a picture in there somewhere.

The rest of the week was spent on what I can probably describe as the norm: Class, a bit of light studying, gentle preparation for a presentation on Friday, and heavy socialization. One evening, in need of a little time to myself, I went to the shore in Fremantle and watched the sun set behind a lighthouse. It was picturesque, to say the least. (Naturally, I didn't have my camera with me.) It was also a strange exercise in juxtaposition: The beach, lighthouse, and the sun setting at the wrong angle were all very foreign and in front of me. A McDonalds, so familiar and greasy, was behind me.

By week's end, I was desperately ready for the study break. I had no concrete plans, but that took care of itself. After another round of Scottish soccer on Saturday, I barbecued with the guys. One of their roommates was taking a trip to Southwest Australia, and he invited myself and my German friend Chris to go with him. We accepted and went along for a ride. But that's a story for tomorrow.

No comments: